Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Frictionary # 414

Here is another page taken from The Frictionary:

4056. Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt. (Clarence Darrow)

4057. The church says: the body is a sin.  Science says: the body is a machine.  Advertising says: the body is a business.  The body says: I am a fiesta. (Eduardo Galeano)

4058. Vanity exists. Only lies can be invented. (Georges Braque)

4059. It's a known fact that the sheep that give us steel wool have no natural enemies. (Gary Larson)

4060. Steak and puns: a rare medium done well. (Richard Lederer)

4061. We expect everything, and we're never prepared for anything. (Sophie Swetchine)

4062. Write drunk, edit sober. (Ernest Hemingway - frequently attributed but unverified*)
* Hemingway said,“I have spent all my life drinking, but since writing is my true love I never get the two things mixed up.” which would indicate opposition to the quotation...


4063. Although the cricket's song
has no words,
still,
it sounds like sorrow.  (Izumi Shikibu)

4064. When someone demands blind obedience, you'd be a fool not to peek. (Jim Fiebig)

4065. Love is space and time measured by the heart. (Marcel Proust)

That's all for this edition of The Frictionary. Your comments and suggestions are welcome, but commercial links will be rejected. Subscribe and receive this free weekly blog in your in-box. Have a great week!


Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:34 AM , Blogger Barry Popik said...

I've looked at "Write drunk, edit sober." I couldn't find any legitimate Hemingway citation, although he's frequently credited for it.

 
At 11:35 AM , Blogger Barry Popik said...

"Write drunk, edit sober" doesn't appear to be Hemingway's, despite the frequent attribution.

 
At 4:11 PM , Blogger Rejean said...

You are most probably right. In fact, he said "“I have spent all my life drinking, but since writing is my true love I never get the two things mixed up.” which would go against the frequently attributed "Write drunk, edit sober."
Thank you for clearing this up. I will edit accordingly.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home